‘Podi’ is the South Indian name for a flavoursome powdered combination of spices and lentils, similar
to Dukkah. It is best eaten as a dipping accompaniment, traditionally enjoyed with fermented lentil
pancakes (dosas) or dumplings (idlis).
Wise Cicada Cafe’s Head Chef Gautam Narayan, of Nourish Holistic Nutrition has created a nutritionally enhanced Podi using hemp seeds from Plant Culture and pumpkin seeds that are rich in protein, omega 3, 6 & 9, essential vitamins and minerals.
Gautam added curry leaves to introduce potential anti-diabetic, antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to the Podi. A teaspoon of this delicious Podi, mixed with hemp oil gives you flavour and nutrition. Dip some crusty bread or crackers into it to create instant nourishment.
¼ cup sesame seeds
2 T coconut oil
1 C Hemp Seeds
1/4 C almonds
1 C curry leaves
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup urad dal (split black lentil)
2 fresh green chillies (optional)
½ tsp asafoetida (optional)
Himalayan salt to taste
– In a heavy bottomed pan add sesame seeds & dry roast until light golden brown; keep aside to cool.
– Pulse until coarse in a food processor. Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
– Lightly roast almonds and pumpkin seeds separately; allow to cool.
– Process pumpkin seeds until coarse. Add to the mixing bowl.
– De stem curry leaves, wash & allow to dry between tea towels.
– Lightly roast leaves in a pan until almost crispy. Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool.
– Process almonds and curry leaves until coarse. Add to the mixing bowl.
– Warm coconut oil in a pan, add green chillies & carefully stir for a minute. Turn off flame, add asafoetida.
– Process urad dal, chillies and asafoetida until coarse. Add to the mixing bowl.
– Add hemp seeds and salt to the bowl and mix well. Transfer and store in an airtight container.